Page 77 of 361 FirstFirst ... 27 67 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 87 127 177 ... LastLast

Thread: Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible.

Last Online
    11-07-2013 @ 09:51 PM
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0

9yvt8n0q93v0r9m2t43othv

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travesty_to_be_human; 11-07-2013 at 09:30 PM.

2. Similar Threads

1. Replies: 4
      Last Post: 05-11-2013, 08:49 AM
    2. Replies: 180
      Last Post: 03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
    3. Ways of making Pandora become real
      By ZenitYerkes in forum Pandora
      Replies: 34
      Last Post: 01-13-2010, 10:56 PM
    4. Replies: 11
      Last Post: 01-10-2010, 03:06 PM
    5. Pandora depression slowly decreasing
      By Dude in forum Pandora
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
    Last Online
    01-08-2011 @ 12:04 AM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by travesty_to_be_human View Post
    Do something about your longing for a place in a greater meaning to your life on this planet, I don't mean go get a promotion at McDonalds... I don't even mean donate to some environmental cause, I mean fix things yourself, be that person holding the flag of change. Complaining will solve nothing, being depressed that we don't have luminescent plants on the land and as cool-looking megafauna is definately not going to get anyone anywhere, but you can certainly live with our planet's soul, you can live without a nagative impact, but ofcourse you won't, will you? You're scared to give up all the ornamental junk covering your desk and shelves, you're scared that you might not be able to find a doctor or a packet of junkfood if you become self-sustaining, you're scared of what people will think of the person who does things so strangely, you're scared that people will be scared that you're taking charge and protecting the life of this planet, living with it, dying by it.

I would by so hugely surprised if at least one single person out of ALL of the people who have been "changed" by the movie actually decided to get off their behind and live like they say they want to. Of course I won't acutally be surprised though because nobody will want to live this magnificent lifestyle when they work out that all the honour and good will in the world isn't enough to them when faced by the down-sides to living without all of this around us right now; cold when it rains, hot when the sun shines, miliaria when the mosquitos swarm... what a shallow race we have become.

all the points you have made are valid =) its not like we chose to be so arrogant and not realize how great nature is. we are a product of our upbringing, so all we can do is try our best.

well except for the rant about how were all scared of something, but everyone has there own opinion =)

Last edited by Neytiri.; 01-06-2010 at 11:38 AM.

Last Online
    01-06-2010 @ 12:04 PM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Exclamation

Fantastic film, but it says more about human nature and the battle with its destructive self, than any particular message about environmentalism. I agree its about moving into a way of life more in tune with nature, but don't drop your bible or anything, its just a movie. The corporate war machine is the enemy, not humans.

And money WAS a measure of success, but never mind that, you don't care about 24 trillion dollars being stolen. Forget about money! Just take this chip, and get your bird flu, and use a slop bucket or the kids will rat you out. Its not our fault! We were born into this world, into this way of life, we were duped JUST LIKE YOU! Its not our fault for what has been done to this planet, but WE ARE BEING BLAMED and WE WILL PAY FOR IT.

Cameron made an amazing film though, no doubt, but don't confuse it for real life.

Last Online
    05-31-2010 @ 04:11 AM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by Elequin View Post
    Thats a big thing I have come to realize. Money is not a measure of success. I have found myself now instead of looking to get have a career that pays very well, to something that actually has a purpose, and meaning to it.
    Exactly. Currency was created as a tool to trade with, a simplification of the bartering system, and therefore a human construct. As with all human constructs, the importance of it is based solely on pressures deemed to be appropriate by a given society. Instead of being a tool to make life easier, it became a means to discriminate based on wealth, which lead to the formation of classes and eventually opression.

Instead of your social standing being based apon what you could contribute to the tribe (in the form of skills such as hunting, storytelling and the like), it was based on how much your were able to take away from it. This shift from relying on your fellow man, forming lasting bonds of trust and inter-dependance (what is known down here as Ubuntu - 'I am because you are'), to a society which favored independace, had lead to a general sense of alienation.

Essentially, what I'm trying to say is that, as we've lost touch with nature, we have, in effect, lost touch with each other, and therefore ourselves. Watching the Na'vi induces a sense of nostalgia and longing for a closeness that is not really there anymore, and this is partly why leaving the cinema when the credits roll can be such a disillusioning process.

And to SaphirJD and Neylana, thanks

Last edited by Txe値an; 01-06-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Last Online
    01-06-2010 @ 12:02 PM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Unhappy

Hello, this is my first post.

Well I went into the movie yesterday thinking I was just going to see a sci-fi romp. Little did I know it would change my life forever. I sat in the theater after it was over just stunned, and then I began to cry. I was ripped apart with feelings I had never had before, hate for myself and my species, hate for my capitalistic and worthless society, and a feeling of such despair that I would never be able to know the Na致i or their superior culture and way of life. I was there just thinking and crying for about 15 minutes before an usher asked me to leave. I told him I never wanted to leave and he was confused for a second. Then he said I had to go and if I wanted to see this 田rappy movie again I壇 have to pay for another ticket. Well to cut to the chase it got a bit heated at that point and we ended up in a shoving match. The police officer who took me out of there didn稚 seem to care either. When I told him he was a tool of an oppressive society that is destroying the world he laughed at me. Now I致e got a charge against me for public disturbance but I don稚 care. Hopefully that jerk usher got fired.

The next day I saw it at a different theater in 3d. All of a sudden the world was as real as my own. At the end I stood up and started telling the people that they were the bad guys and were killing the Na致i everyday with their western society. I said look at Afghanistan! I got cussed out and had a soda thrown on me but I wore those like a badge of honor, I felt like a Na致i standing against human oppression and sickness. I just wished I had a weapon at that point and could have fought like Jake did. Jake was so strong. I began to wish that I could be like a new Hitler, only instead of exterminating one race I壇 do the whole human race then shoot myself at the end. My mom always said I get too wrapped up in this stuff but she is an idiot who is just as much part of the problem as every other American. I told her when I got home and she cried but I don稚 care anymore, I知 35 and I can do what I want in my room and don稚 have to take any 杜edicine if I don稚 want to. Did the Na致i take pills to 堵et better Did the Indians? Nope. I just wish I could stop thinking of this; it痴 more than a movie. My Mom used to think I was too into WoW but that was just a game. I quit playing and told my guild wife there to just forget me. This feels real, that is just stupid now. I don't even really want to go into work.

Sorry for a long first post. I知 in an emotional state right now and just wanted to vent with other believers. I wish I could wake up and be in a real world, not this hell hole we have created on Earth. I don't know if I should cry or be mad anymore.

Last Online
    05-31-2010 @ 04:11 AM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by travesty_to_be_human View Post
    I would by so hugely surprised if at least one single person out of ALL of the people who have been "changed" by the movie actually decided to get off their behind and live like they say they want to.
    There are many reasons for this.

Firstly, the Na'vi (or, more realistically, the way that our neolithic ancestors did), survived primarily by their ability to form groups or tribes. We, as a species, have that ability, but there are simply not enough like-minded individuals in contact with one another. If you were to pack it all up and live in a forest by yourself, you would die. Chris McCandless (of 'Into the Wild') tried to do this, and look at how he turned out. Early hippies managed to do this quite successfully based solely on the fact that there were more of them to bear the load of their new responsibilities.

Secondly, the ceremonies and rites by which one became a man in most tribes were there for a reason. A great deal of knowlege is needed before you can survive off the earth. One needs to actually learn which plants are edible, and which will kill you. You need to know how to hunt (which also requires more than one person, usually). These skills take years to master, and cannot be learnt within the space of a 3 hour movie. For our ancestors, there wasn't a choice - it was learn or die. We, however, have a choice and, as is often the case, the easy route for us to take is not necessarily the right one.

EDIT: Oh, and the influx of trolls is most likely because Geekologie.com ran an article about this thread: http://www.geekologie.com/2010/01/yo...ng_me_foru.php

Last edited by Txe値an; 01-06-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Last Online
    01-06-2010 @ 12:04 PM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Im sorry this movie had to be the movie to wake you up.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg, but the way you will find strength
    is in TRUTH and knowledge. Learn all you can while you can!
    It will make everything easier.

Last Online
    11-19-2010 @ 08:22 PM
    Thumbs Up/Down

this is why i hate sleeping. I miss all the good banter.

Last Online
    12-26-2012 @ 03:25 PM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Quote Originally Posted by JacobSully View Post
    So I've seen this phrase a couple of times in this thread "Live like the Na'vi" and you know what? It was good advice, I needed to live more like the Na'vi. The very first thing I did was remove my bedding from the house and set up a hammock in my bedroom instead (it would be outside but it's very cold right now :( ) I know this is very superficial so please don't judge me, but one step at a time right?

The next thing I know I need to do is have a respect of the enviroment. I used to drive a ranger ,but I realized that was hurting mother Earth, or terra as I've affectionatly called her. So anyways I took the beast for one last drive and left it downtown with the keys in it, I won't be a devil anymore!!! Since then I've found a horse on Craiglist and starting barning it in my empty garage. My "moron" neighbors are complaining, but you know what they haven't woken up yet, those big jerks.

Thirdly I've tried to engage in activism, you see in the suburbs the city routinely decides to remove trees because they are pushing up their cement!! Can you believe that? Maybe their cement is bugging the trees roots or something. So I've ridden around on silver lightning (my horse he's such a sweetie) and found these people and had very heated arguments with them. They don't understand what it's like to be a tree and how truely alive they really are. I've been mostly unsuccessful :(, but a couple conceded and decided not to tear the trees down!! I'm currently in the process of creating my own bow and arrow to intimidate these cretins (i'd never use it though)

Lastly it was clear that the Na'vi hate greed so I'm going to write some very strongly worded letters to wallstreet and Ford telling them what they've done to this earth.

Living like the Na'vi has changed my life, when it gets warmer I plan on just wearing a burlap sack around my waste, man was not meant to be fully clothed.

Thank you for this site so I can meet other like minded people.
    Regarding the horse, you may want to reference your local residential codes to see if such an animal is permitted for your purposes.

I support your endeavors but regarding the letters to Ford and Wallstreet, if you dont include a check for a billion, they wont even consider reading it or changing their environmental policy lol. The only way they would respond is through legislation, a time consuming process as you know. Even then, profit is still a primary concern. In all honesty I am absolutely sure they receive numerous complaints as it is but hopefully strength comes in numbers right?

Last Online
    02-12-2010 @ 10:30 AM
    Thumbs Up/Down

Thumbs up Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Neytiri View Post
    Start living like Neytiri: in touch with nature, the environment, and not being greedy and wasteful. Pass on the burger, for something more healthy for you and less cruel to animals. Spend your time on this forum, or volunteering in your free time, instead of getting high or drinking, twiddling your thumbs, being apathetic and complaining about how bad the world is. Don't get swept away by the wave of negativity, live your dream. Your life has only two switches, to shine or not to shine. There is no "apathy" setting. If you're on apathy setting you might as well sign your world away to destruction. When you get discouraged by everyone around you, be courageous like Jake, and jump on the leonopteryx. Be the change you want to see in your world. There are only so many people on this earth, the more of them that are doing positive things, the less of them that are out there doing negative things. It's unfortunate that we live in a world where, just by pulling a trigger or making a corporate decision, one single greedy human being can wipe out the hard works of love of many people. But this is why we need to stop focusing on money and start focusing on our environment. Because we have the intelligence to kill ourselves, but not the wisdom to stop it. What will our money buy, when everything that is worth having is destroyed? The only way you can fill the emptiness you feel after this movie, is to jump on the leonopteryx.
    So well written, this really touched me! :o