View Full Version : Video games and Greed/Money
01-28-2010, 03:41 PM
1. Do you think video games create Violence in the world?
2.Do you think stealing 1 thing for survival is greed? Like in Haiti they have to steal stuff to survive
So tell me fourm what is your opinion on both
01-28-2010, 04:05 PM
1. No, I've played many wonderful and timeless classical video games in my life. Not all video games are filled with violence. It is an entertainment piece to be enjoyed, just like Avatar and the rest of 'em. It all depends on how you use it.
2. I would say no stealing unless it was deemed extremely necessary and based on a survival situation. As for Haiti, they're doing it all wrong. They need to work together to live. They don't know much teamwork there really is if they felt the need to steal from each other.
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Young kids .... maybe, adults definitely no. Its the same with violence in tv and movies if the person is old enough/has the capacity for reasoning then no. Those that don't have reasoning skills yes. However those that do there is not possible way that someone that plays violent video to right after playing gta/or some other game to go postal without some having some prior problems not related to video games.
YES a resounding YES a song by jackson browne sums it up
Where were you when you realized
However strong, however wise
However true our leaders appear to be
They talk about prosperity
However hard this country strives
When property is valued more than lives
How strong will we ever really be
How long do we imagine we’ll be free
01-28-2010, 04:12 PM
1)i dont think video games really do much harm other than keep ppl at a computer or tv screen all day....which is what these forms do lol. but still some games are meant for an older age group and parents need to go by there ratings and that could affect young minds in the long run. how i am unsure.
2) i don't think stealing something you need is bad depending on the circumstances. for example takeing a little food out of a garden near by because you are starving is ok. but when its for ones own want and is not needed for living than its wrong. but there's so many loopholes in this idea.
01-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Video games. the more violent the better for me
On the subject of stealing according to it so far Robin hood was nasty dirty criminal!!!!
01-28-2010, 04:28 PM
1. Unfortunately, video games (when placed in the wrong hands) can be contributors to violence. There are many violent games, and there are many stupid/troubled people. When you bring the two together, it's a deadly combination. I play some very violent games, but I like to think I'm a little more in touch with reality than some other idiots my age.
2. Well, stealing obviously isn't greedy if you need it to survive. Greed and necessity don't go hand-in-hand.
Whether it's right or wrong is a whole other issue.
01-28-2010, 04:51 PM
1. I don't believe it causes violence but more like it feeds it and helps it grow (yet it was proven that video games with violence help release stress; none the less i still feel thats this is a cause for aggressive reactions)
2. I believe that at least in this case the end justifies the means, though stealing is a bad idea unfortunately they are suffering a great tragedy and while a bit of order could help a lot more than chaos, in this world there is no way that we will think about others before we think about ourselves especially when our lives are at stake. (sorry for the English) :nsmile:
edit: i forgot to say greed might not be the correct word since greed is for one's wealthy benefit and not to stay alive.
01-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, while stealing is in general a crime.. when one have nothing.. truly nothing and in that case has to take some food for example to survive i dont see that as a crime. Its only a way to survive, which everyone has the right for.
And Games - Depends if one is more moved in the violence direction. Most gamers dont do some bad things because the game shooters for example. There are way too much factors to say that that easily. Btw. you should also not forget TV - Wherever you look, brutality is around.
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
1. I think that this is more of a "case by case" sort of thing. I play violent video games, but I'm not a violent person at all (I at least hope not! We usually believe what we want to believe). But then there are some minds that can be impacted more heavily. I know some people who've wanted to become part of gangs because of grand theft auto.
2. No, I do not think that it is greedy in the slightest to steal something that you need to survive. That's not to say that you should rob a jewelry store of the biggest diamond they have. Nor does that mean you should steal from the guy running a kiosk that's barely getting by.
01-29-2010, 12:37 AM
1. It depends on the game, it's not the same "The Gorgeous Adventures of Ms. Falala" that "GTA San Andreas". But that kind of violent games make yourself act in a different way; I once played GTA and when I got out home I thought like "Hmm, maybe I could steal that car".
Whatever, that's just me.
2. I believe that if you're stealing a bit of bread for your starving family is absolutely right, that should be a top priority if you don't have any other way to keep them. But if you're a millionaire who lives off stealing banks, it's clearly greedy.
01-29-2010, 04:45 PM
No Videogames do not cause violence Those who claim a game affected them are either using it as a scapegoat or they have something wrong in there minds. I don't mean that in a nasty way.. just I play Gears of war and i never had the urge to run around my town with a chainsaw and go nuts. it's rubbish!
umm.. Stealing for survival.. I'd say no.. like if it was literally life or death situation.
Video games may cause violence in the very low percentiles, but I think for the majority of people it does not.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." The Assassin's motto.
02-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Do video games cause violence?
Well what is your Opinion OP? But then again he hasn't been back so. In my opinion no they do not cause violence. As we all love the anecdotal evidence of ourselves, I guess you could add me to the list. Do I think some people are looking for a reason to do harm? Yes.
Are video games easy to point to? Yes, but then again...every new medium goes through this.. Go google the "Hayes Act" or "Seduction of the innocent" which refer to Movies and Comic Books inspecific. There is always some mother running around screaming "WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!???" Yes..Batman made me wanna waste street punks. You're welcome.
02-02-2010, 11:21 PM
If video games caused violence, I'd be a serial killer by now. I played games like Mortal Kombat and Doom when I was around eight or nine years old. I hate real violence, but it doesn't bother me if the violence is fictional.
I think that if you have no choice but to steal or starve to death, it's fine. But only take things that are necessary to live, not things used for entertainment.
Human No More
02-03-2010, 12:26 AM
1. Definitely not. When I was younger and had problems with people, games were a great outlet. Only skxawngs like Jack Thompson think games are bad.
2. No, if you only take the minimum of what you need when there is no other option.
02-03-2010, 12:41 AM
A video game, or any media for that matter, wont make a non violent adult violent.
Impressionable young minds on the other hand can be strongly influenced towards violence by all forms of violent media.
I would sooner die then steal, as my personal honor is more valuable to me then any earthly treasure, but I would gladly steal food to feed a starving child as long the food I am stealing is not from another starving child.
02-03-2010, 02:13 AM
1. Do you think video games create Violence in the world?
Yes, but only under indirect circumstances. I do not believe they promote violence and say 'Go out there and do this thing in real life', that is a fallacy. I do, however, believe that they desensitise us to violence and, in turn, make it easier to accept it and in some rare cases commit it.
2. Do you think stealing 1 thing for survival is greed?
As scott said, if stealing means you and your family can survive for one more day, I would gladly do it, provided the person you are taking from is not in an equal or worse-off position than you.
I personally believe people in Haiti should not have to steal to survive in the first place when there are people out there with food resources that sell it for outrageous prices, but that's another kettle of fish.
02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
No and no. I think video games are just another item in a long line of easy scapegoats for societies problems, a symptom of our unwillingness to take a hard look at it's root causes. Before video games it was violent movies, comic books, novels, and the list goes on.
No I don't think stealing for survival is greed. Perhaps it is a result of poor planning (didn't save up in case of disaster, or buy insurance), but that's all. Greed implies excess, so unless you made tons of money and then wasted it all and are now stealing, I wouldn't say so.
02-09-2010, 03:07 AM
kudos - most sensible answer to these questions yet!